JQ 3: Political correctness (or PC for short) means using words that won’t offend any group of people, while still identifying difference. For example, with respect to gender, we’d say postal carrier instead of postman. With respect to race, we’d say African-American instead of Black. How do you feel about political correctness? How do you choose the words you use to describe groups or categories of people?
1. Share time compression activities from Big History: From Big Bang to the Present reading.
2. How do we reference historical time?
- View a current debate on the use of BC/BCE terms in Texas textbooks.
- Read William Safire’s BC/ BCE or AD/CE from the August 1997 New York Times Magazine.
- On the back of the article, identify the arguments he explains for the use of each set of terms. Underline those arguments in favor of retaining the BC/AD notation; circle those arguments in favor of adopting the BCE/CE notation.
On the back of the Safire article about the BC/BCE debate, write one paragraph explaining your position on the controversy. If you have trouble getting started, consider beginning with your thesis: ” I believe that history textbooks or other media should….to denote historical dates.