JQ: None today. Present Arachne murals.
1. Review notes from last night’s readings. What are some of the highlights?
2. Lecture on the rise of Sparta and Athens. (Smartboard .pdf)
- What are the similarities and differences between Sparta and Athens?
- Focus on Sparta. “300: Fact or Fiction” This is an extra on the film by Frank Miller: 300. The 300 refers to the number of Spartans involved in the war at Thermopylae, a battle between Persia and an alliance of Greek city-states led by King Leonidas of Sparta. Here is an excerpt from the piece we watched in class.
Review notes from class. Open notes quiz on Friday.
- VIDEO: Life in Sparta amid economic gloom (bbc.co.uk)