1. Discuss assignment about Direct Democracy using Ballotpedia.org. Collect.
2. Discuss the important contributions from Pericles:
- In 461 BC the assembly elects Pericles as one of Athen’s generals.
- His goals were to: 1) strengthen Athenian democracy; 2 build a commercial empire;a and 3) glorify Athens.
- Famous oratory speech: Perciles’ Funeral Oration (excerpt is in Heath, p. 119 and in Spielvogel on pg. 68)
2. Begin watching “Time Life: The Age of Excellence.”
Heath: Chapter 5, Section 3: “Athens led Greece in its Golden Age” Pages 115-120 – STOP at “Philosophers Searched for Truth”;
Spielvogel: Pages 67-71: Growth of Athenian Empire and; Pages 71-74: Culture and Society during Golden Age